Friday, August 8, 2008

DWB - Driving While Brown

Yes, I know, I'm not brown.

But I'm not a fool.

I live in Broderick, where there's supposedly a huge gang called the Broderick Boys.

(Hmmm, and yet the DA can't even name most of the members, despite the continued harassment of our local police. Funny how that happens. NOT!)

Broderick was once the "Mexican" side of town. So naturally, many of my neighbors are Latino/Hispanic.

With this BS gang injunction in place, pushed upon the neighborhood by the local DA, many people are being legally harassed by the police department. For example: there's a permanent 10pm curfew on all the Broderick Boys.

What??? Adults aren't allowed to be out in public after 10pm at night? In their own neighborhood?

And who determines who is a Broderick Boy? The local police.

(Talk about having the fox guarding the hen house!)

And how do they determine if you are or aren't a Broderick Boy? Well, let's see, you live in Broderick and you're brown. Basic criteria to deciding that you're a gang member.

Hello?

Can we say "profiling"?

Yes, I've driven down the main street at night and you know, funny how darn near EVERY person pulled over was brown. Even over on the "white" side of town. In fact, ESPECIALLY over on the white side of town.

Bad driving isn't color specific. And in fact, while we're at it, the meth addicts that hang out over on the corner of Jefferson and West Capitol are nearly all white. Why don't I see them being hassled by the local yokels?

Further, I have neighbors whose relatives moved over to the white side, IE the new houses. People have actually stopped and asked their kids if they belong there. Cops have followed them home and hassled them about being in that neighborhood.

Huh?

A brown child can't live over on the expensive side of town?

Dude, listen to me, bigotry and racism are alive and well in America.

I see it darn near every day. Driving while brown, DWB, is a reality in my neighborhood.

Fortunately, my children aren't driving yet. And I plan to be gone from here before my little brown son is on the road. Because the day he comes home and tells me that he's been targeted by the local police is the day that they find out what kind of mom I really am.

Pitbull comes to mind very quickly.

Yes, DWB is not cool.

Too bad the local cops, the DA, and the Yolo County Judge don't comprehend exactly how they've trampled on the rights of American citizens.

Oh, yes, the people being harassed are citizens. American citizens, born and raised right here in Broderick.

Yes, in the eyes of local law enforcement, in West Sacramento being brown is a crime.

Doubt me? Bring a brown cop in civilian clothes over here, let him get stopped a few times. Make sure he's driving a red car with a big Oakland Raider sticker on it, those are also "gang" symbols. See how he's treated by the local po-pos.

After he's been stopped a few times, let him testify about profiling.

DWB, a day in the life of Broderick.

Put the cop on the stand in his Blue uniform and see just how the local yokels harassment plays to the court.

ACLU, are you taking the hint???

No comments: