Sunday, October 14, 2007

Ann Coulter And The Perfect Christian

Oh Lord, I'm praying that You'll give me self control!

What the heck is wrong with that woman? Does she even understand what she's saying when she says it, or is she just a mouthpiece for the ultra-radical right?

Now I do understand the context that she was trying to use the term "perfected". The proper context is that the [Jewish] prophesy of the Messiah was fulfilled in the perfect body of Christ and His sacrifice for us all.

And since we believe in Christ and accept him as the Lord and Savior, we are perfect and thus if everyone believed exactly what we believe, the world would be better too. So according to her, all the Jewish peoples need to become perfect Christians.

AYYYY! What is that woman thinking?

I find that so incredibly disrespectful to pretty much everyone, including other Christians!

First, of course, the Jewish peoples have a covenant with God. In fact JESUS was a Jew! Ann seems to think that Jesus wasn't a Jew, that He was a Christian. No, no, no. How incredibly ignorant! Jesus was a Jew. Period. He came to Save us all, but He was born and raised in Judaism. Not Christianity.

Next, we consider ourselves as Christians to be the next step in the Path that God laid before us all, BUT do the Jews? No, I don't think so. I believe that God's covenant with the Jews was not replaced by our new covenant with Jesus. And so it's not our place to be judging Judaism. God will decide, not me, not you, and certainly NOT Ann Coulter.

Now, let's move on. Where the heck did she get the idea that all Americans have to be Christians? OK, look, I'm a Christian and I think it'd be great if everyone was Saved. BUT, but, but, this is America, where we all have the freedom to Believe or not as we choose. You know, that Free Will thing that God blessed us with...

Our whole country was based on the idea that we wouldn't allow a State religion. That was the point of separation of church and state. However, we still have that human impulse to be prejudiced and bigoted against anyone and anything that's different. Our prejudice even includes those who practice different forms of Christianity. Look at JFK for example. People were just having fits because he was a Catholic, and "you know how those Catholics are, always following the laws of the Vatican and the Pope..." Even today, I cringe when I'm at church and I hear someone say, "well, I'm a Christian and he's a Methodist". Oh my, what is God going to say to us when we move on from this plane of existence??

Please people, use those brains for more than a hat rack! (Not that Ann wears hats, she probably could use one to keep what little is left of her brains from frying in the hot sun.)

And while I'm ranting, what the HECK makes her think any of us are perfect Christians? No, no, no, we are most definitely imperfect! Jesus was the only perfect human ever, and He's the Son of God. Hello???

We Christians are NOT perfect, we're NOT going to be perfect, that's the reality of being human. As a Christian, I'm held to a higher standard. It doesn't mean I'm perfect. It means that I'm supposed to try harder to be that reflection of the perfection of Christ.

Am I going to miss the target? Heck yeah I am! Many, many times. I struggle against my own base nature every single day. And all too often, I have the privilege of picking myself up, dusting myself off, apologizing, and trying to get back to work.

Now, unlike some of my Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I'm not going to go utterly ballistic and accuse all of the GOP of being as small minded, bigoted, racist, etc, etc, etc, as I consider Ann Coulter to be. No. That would be unfair to all the good hearted people on the other side of the "line". And since I wobble back and forth in the middle, honestly, there are some topics I'm over with the more conservative middle-of-the-road folks. But not this one.

Ann Coulter is NOT the example that we should follow. She obviously thinks she's perfect. Huh.

The rest of us, we know we're not perfect and we're not going to be perfect, we're just striving, like everyone else, to do better.

So what's my opinion, as a dedicated middle-of-the-roader, former Republican, currently a Democrat?

Ann needs to get down off of her soapbox and stop with her pseudo-intelligent farce. The woman is a major embarrassment to the American people and Christians everywhere. As long as we let Ann and the people like her go unchallenged, we will continue to face the walls of prejudice, bigotry, closed-mindedness, of hate. We will continue to allow Satan to do his work here on this earth.

This country still has freedom of speech, she has the right to say what she wants, but WE also have the freedom and the duty to tell her that she's wrong, loud and clear, without any hesitation. And refuse to buy her books or support her positions in any way.

It's up to us -- especially we Christians -- to keep extremists like Ann from painting our Faith with the same brush that they use to paint swastikas and hate onto the walls of our churches, the synagogues, the mosques, the temples of America. It's our duty to be right in all that we do. And that includes stopping hate in its tracks, wherever we find it.

It's our duty.

No comments: