Sunday, April 20, 2008

Global Warming ~ Another Opportunity To Rip Us Off

Yes, you heard me.

The big old ugly blathering about global warming is just another opportunity to rip us off.

Have you noticed, the more the world situation worsens, the more the media is going on about global warming? What are we being distracted from? What ELSE is going on out there in the world that we should be more aware of?

Let me be blunt.

As usual, it's all about the money.

Do NOT get me wrong. I am all in favor of wind power, solar power, passive solar homes, alternative building and energy options. Heck yeah! My dream home is set into a hill overlooking about 20 acres. Passive solar, wind tower, solar panels, a garden, olive trees, grapevines, yes, they're all part of my dream retirement. Even a couple of diesels (Mercedes 240D and a pickup truck) converted to run on veggie oil.

I've been recycling since the '70s. I believe in composting and reusing and freecycling too. I'm an avid reuser. Vintage is good. Old stuff fixed up and repurposed is very good. (Especially if it's free.)

Heck yeah, I am in favor of all these things.

However. However.

I look at our government and what do I see? Do I see any encouragement toward these options? Do I see any incentives for cities, towns, counties to encourage this kind of building? Do I see any modifications to the Universal Building codes that would allow alternative buildings that incorporate these methods of heat, power, cooling? Do I see any encouragement of repurpose and reuse?

Honestly, no I don't. I see resistance at every point.

As I groused in my previous post, the government is NOT serious about gas prices or energy savings.

Al Gore and his garbage are not the root of the problem, but he sure is perpetuating it. The man may be highly intelligent, but has the common sense of a toad. Heck, a toad has more sense, at least the toad knows enough to get out of the sun before it's brain is fried...

Look my friends, the earth has been warmer WAY longer than it's been cooler. If you look at the long term evidence, the earth has pretty much always been warmer than it is now.

In addition, you see I remember, not that long ago, the scare-mongers were blathering about how we were going into another ice age and civilization as we know it was going to change dramatically.

Oh please.

Civilization has already changed dramatically. The Internet is one major factor in changing the world as we know it -- faster than we can process the changes. My grandmother just passed two years and two months ago. She went from an era of covered wagons to cars to airplanes (she was a pilot too!) to spacecraft. LOL, she didn't like computers though. But my mom has three computers and she uses them all for her many projects.

Don't tell me that civilization is changing because of the dang weather. It's changing because change happens. It just happens faster and faster as communication becomes faster and faster.

The world was huge when the pyramids were being built. As each level went up, the pyramid became narrower, smaller. The world is becoming smaller and smaller as we build upon the past, just as the pyramid got smaller and smaller as the builders approached the top. Of course, the analogy isn't perfect, because even as the world gets smaller due to communications, our knowledge is growing by the day, an invisible inverted pyramid standing huge over the history of humanity.

Anyway, getting back to global warming. Trust me, within another 10 or 20 years, we'll be back to "we're going into another ice age" gloom and doom.

If the government was really serious about all this, they'd be doing a LOT more to encourage grass root movements and research into alternative methods of energy.

In the end, it's all about the money. Global warming is big business right now. As long as it's making money, it's going to be the pet project of many a huckster -- including Al Gore and his many followers.

But one Krakatoa can change all that in just a few minutes. Google it up, google up "the little ice age" and you'll see exactly what I mean.

My friends, don't believe the hype. Look around you. Listen. Read. Don't buy into everything that the Internet and TV spews out.

Spew is the right word. Global warming is just another opportunity to rip us off. Educate yourself with more than just the evening news.

It's a wide world out there. Look back, look at the present, look forward and keep moving forward.

Don't believe the hype.

No comments: